The market for battery systems is developing rapidly. There is a growing demand for efficient batteries with a large energy density. Victron Energy has a suitable answer to this demand: the Victron Lithium-ion battery system. This is comprised of a very modern battery with an advanced control- and security system; the so-called Battery Management System (BMS). The BMS controls the charging and discharging, immediately takes action when certain (critical) values are exceeded and safeguards an efficient energy transfer.
The advantages of a Lithium-ion battery over conventional lead-acid batteries
• High energy density: more energy with less weight;
• High charge currents (shortens the charge period);
• High discharge currents (enabling for exampleelectrical cooking on a small battery bank);
• Long battery life (up to six times the battery life of a conventional battery);
• High efficiency between charging and discharging (very little energy loss due to heat development);
• Higher continuous power available.
Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4 or LFP) is the safest of the mainstream Li-ion battery types.
The nominal voltage of a LFP cell is 3,2V (lead-acid: 2V/cell).
A 25,6V LFP battery consists of 8 cells connected in series.
The advantages of the Victron Lynx Lithium-ion battery system.
The modular system used adds the following advantages:
• The Victron Lithium-Ion Battery System is easy to install due to its modularity. No complicated wiring diagrams are required.
• Detailed information is available on the waterproof Ion Control display.
• The 350A relay in the Lynx-Ionprovides maximum safety: in case the chargers or loads do not respond to the commands from the Lynx-Ion, the main safety relay will open to prevent permanent damage tothe batteries.
• For typical marine installations there is an extra smalloutput, so you can still power the bilge pump and disconnect all other house loads by opening the 350A relay.
A complete system consists of:
• One or more 24V 180Ah Lithium-Ion batteries.
• (optional) The Lynx Power In, a modular dc bus bar.
• The Lynx Ion is the Battery Management System (BMS) that controls the batteries. A 350 Ampere safety contactor is inside the Lynx Ion.
• The Lynx Shunt VE.Can, a battery monitor including the main fuse. Note that the fuse needs to be purchased separately.
• (optional) The Lynx Distributor, a DC distribution system with fuses.
• (optional) The Ion Control, a digital control panel.